Our vision, mission, and curriculum reflect the values of the Pacific Northwest business community. One of the strongest values is the recognition of the preciousness of our natural environment, and the need to protect resources. Business students learn to make the most of the natural elements, and the Lillis Business Complex ensures that their educational environment can do the same.
The Lundquist College's emphasis on sustainability reflects the recognition that in the business world environmental stewardship yields many benefits. With one of the largest solar installations in the Northwest and one of pioneering uses of photovoltaic solar glass in the world, the Lillis Business Complex slashes power bills, sets new standards for environmentally friendly design, and serves as a case study in sustainability. No wonder other business schools and universities across the country are following our lead when developing new facilities.
Lillis Hall opened in 2003 thanks to the vision and dedication of Chuck and Gwen Lillis and others. The building features many innovative sustainable technologies in addition to solar panels. This makes it one of the ‘greenest’ business school facilities in the United States while continuing to garner awards and recognition year after year.
Lillis Business Complex was architecturally designed to facilitate and encourage interaction between students and faculty, and to maximize educational resources. These resources include: wired and wireless computing connectivity, audio-visual advances, innovative classroom designs, group work spaces, and ample informal seating and study areas. All of this make the Lillis Business Complex a superior learning environment.
The other halls comprising the Lillis Business Complex are Peterson Hall, Anstett Hall, and the Chiles Center. Anstett (formerly Gilbert) Hall and Peterson Hall are our historic wings, which opened in 1916 and 1922, respectively. In 2007, Peterson Hall, home to the Oregon MBA, was completely gutted--only the building façade remained. Three years later, thanks to Hope Anstett's gift commemorating her husband Joseph, the school was able to undertake similarly extensive renovations of the facility formerly known as Gilbert Hall. Renamed Anstett Hall, the building re-opened in March 2011. Its first floor houses classrooms and offices, while its second and third floors are the new location of the Anstett Family Accounting Suite.
These renovations created a seamless modern interior with Lillis Hall, including sustainable features, teaching technologies, and architecture. Natural light floods the interior through glazed walls and a large skylight at the top of an open staircase. A large graduate lounge and numerous smaller rooms equipped with flat-panel screens are the perfect environment for individual study, group work, teleconferences, and presentations.
The Chiles Center, opened in 1985, includes additional case rooms and houses the college's business technology center and computer labs. A new $1 million endowment established in 2008 enabled a major upgrade to the computer labs and will help ensure continual enhancements in perpetuity as technology advances.
Location: University of Oregon Campus, 955 E 13th Ave. (13th & Kincaid Streets), Eugene, Oregon.
Size: 196,500 square feet
Architect: SRG Partnership
General Contractor: Lease Crutcher Lewis
Certification: U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environment Design (LEED) Silver.
Cost: $41 million (90 percent financed by private gifts)